How to Use a Flexhaler
A Flexhaler is a device that puts a very fine dry power medicine into the lungs. You must take a deep and forceful breath for the powder to reach all of your lungs.
- Hold the Flexhaler upright so the white cover points up. Hold the grip in one hand and use your other hand to unscrew the cover and remove it.
- Keep the Flexhaler upright, twist the colored wheel to the right as far as it will, then twist it all the way back to the left until it clicks. The Flexhaler is now ready to use.
- Prime your inhaler the first time it is used by repeating step 2.
- If you tip or drop the Flexhaler repeat step 2 to load a new dose of medicine.
- Turn away from the Flexhaler and breathe out. Holding the Flexhaler in a flat position, place the mouthpiece in your mouth and seal lips around the flexhaler. Breathe in fast and deep through your mouth until you feel your lungs are full. Hold your breath for 10 seconds.
- If a second dose is prescribed repeat steps 2 and 5. 7. Brush your teeth and rinse your mouth after using the flexhaler.
Care of the Flexhaler:
- Never get the Flexhaler wet.
- Store it in a dry place with the cover on.
- Clean the mouthpiece two times a week by wiping it with a dry cloth.
- Never blow INTO the mouthpiece.
- The Flexhaler is not reusable. Never take it apart.
- There is a counter at the top of the window underneath the mouthpiece. When the counter reads 0, the Flexhaler is empty and should be thrown away and replaced with a new Flexhaler.
- When using a dry powder inhaler, you may not taste the powder and you may not feel the medicine being delivered.
Download instructions on how to use a Flexhaler (.pdf)