When you first arrive at the Gait and Movement Analysis (CGMA), you will be greeted and checked in for your appointment.
After you fill out some paperwork, we will begin with the physical exam, which is where your child will meet the physical therapist who will stay with you throughout your entire visit to CGMA. The physical therapist will collect a variety of information, such as:
- Height and weight
- Measurements of certain parts of your child’s body
- Strength and range of motion at the joints, including hips, knees and ankles
- Muscle selectivity and spasticity
- Foot position while standing still
- Balance in sit and stand positions
- Sensation and skin condition
- Medical history, including orthotics, surgeries, muscle injections, etc
All of the above information will be analyzed and added to the motion data collected in the following steps when your child is walking.
Step 2: Observe and videotape movement