Weight Management and Obesity in Children
The goal of Children’s Hospital Colorado’s Weight Management Program is to improve the lives of children and families who are facing challenges and health conditions related to weight. Our team of experts treats children who are severely obese, often with related illnesses.
For more than twenty years, we have treated children with weight management issues. As one of the only programs in the country to see children from birth to adulthood, we are also the only regional specialty care center to treat the obese pediatric patient and focus on obesity treatment for the special needs population. Our experts have created national obesity guidelines, led national obesity studies and publications and participated in a national FOCUS group.
Healthcare providers may use the Weight Management Program referral guide (.pdf) for additional information about the conditions we treat.
Why choose Children’s Hospital Colorado for your child’s weight management treatment?
Children's Hospital Colorado offers the region’s leading pediatric weight management program, Lifestyle Medicine. We understand that weight management is an ongoing process. Our team of pediatric experts strives to provide families with the tools that build motivation and confidence in order to make healthy lifestyle decisions. The Lifestyle Medicine Program offers a multidisciplinary team experience with pediatric-trained experts, including psychologists, dietitians, an exercise physiologist, recreational therapists and physicians with specialty training in endocrinology, gastroenterology, nutrition, cardiology and surgery.
Read a story about a patient and his family who changed their lives to improve their health.
Weight management conditions we treat
The Weight Management Program will see children aged 0 to18. To qualify for our program, a child should have a primary care doctor. Children can be referred to the Weight Management Program if they are gaining too much weight, are severely obese, or have obesity-related conditions such as:
Children's Hospital Colorado offers a menu of treatment options depending on the severity of overweight, obese or co-morbid conditions, motivation of child or family, abilities of child or family and geographical locations. Our goal is to provide a tailored program to each individual.
Medical and lifestyle evaluations
After an initial medical evaluation, each patient meets with a team of providers, including a dietitian and an exercise physiologist to address the individual needs of each child and/or family. Note: this program was formerly called the GoodLIFE Clinic.
Special services for children with medical complications
Our Weight Management Medical Specialty Clinic (Tier 2) is devoted to children who have medical complications from their weight gain. Our specialists will help you determine the best approach for your child and/or family. For more information, contact us at 720-777-3352.
Other treatment options
Additional treatment options include:
- Free weekly exercise classes on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays
- Access to the Wellness Center, which includes a yoga room and fitness room
- Outpatient nutrition counseling by a registered dietitian is available through Clinical Nutrition Services. Private nutrition counseling is available at Children's Hospital Colorado on Anschutz Medical Campus and several Network of Care locations.
- Medication and supplements (fish oils, vitamin E, multivitamin, calcium, iron, vitamin D)
- Clinical research and trials for patients who meet criteria
- Radiologic studies, sleep studies and blood tests
- Access to a variety of activities, including the annual “Walk for the Stars” for all weight management patients
- Treatment options for severely obese patients may include inpatient stays, special diets or other intensive interventions